Its been a while since I have posted a recipe, now its about time I do … I tried this recipe recently, and it turned out to be a blockbuster! Really! It was finished before I even counted till 30! Though this recipe does not involve baking, but it is sure to knock the socks off the people who eat it!
Banoffee stands for Banana and Toffee. A Heavenly combination! If this is combines with a sweet, salty and crumbly base and whipped cream, it becomes irresistible! The best of all parts, it does not need much effort. If all this is making your mouth water, wait till you make and taste this pie at home!
I made it in an 11 inch pan. But you can easily adjust the ingredients according to your pan size.
These ingredients are very easily available in the super market:
- Digestive biscuits – 10 -12
- Butter melted- according to the requirement.
- Oreos without the cream inside- 5
- Condensed milk toffee- 400gm ( click/tap here for directions on how to make it)
- Bananas, of course- 3 medium sized
- A teensy bit of lemon juice
- Whipping cream- 200ml (click/tap here to know how to make whipped cream from normal 25% fat or #Amul cream)
- Chocolate shavings or curls to decorate
- Make the toffee from the condensed milk. Make it on the day when you make the pie only. Otherwise it will be very hard to get it back to the pouring consistency after refrigerating it. (Been there done that :-p)
- Put all your biscuits in a ziplock bag. Push the excess air out off the bag then seal it. Go mad crushing the biscuits with a rolling pin as if you are angry with it. Its okay to take out all your anger on it. It won’t mind.
- After crushing the biscuits well, add your melted butter to it little by little while mixing with your hands. Test it by scrunching up the mixture in you hand and releasing it. If a ball like structure in your hand forms and stays, you have added enough butter.
- Dump your biscuit mixture on to your pie tin and press it on the bottom and the sides forming the crust and covering the whole inside of the tin. Keep it in the fridge and let it harden for at least 1 hour.
- In the meantime, cut slices of the banana ( banana pennies) and sprinkle the lemon juice on the slices. Not too much though. We are only adding it to prevent the bananas from going brown overtime.
- After an hour the base will be hard. Lay the banana slices on the bottom. don’t leave any space empty of the bananas.
- Now, cover the bananas with a good layer of the toffee.
- Keep in the fridge for setting. In the meantime whip the cream. Always use freshly made whipped cream for the best results.
- Spread /pipe the whipped cream on top (make sure its a good amount).
- Sprinkle over the chocolate shavings or curls ( click/tap here to know how to make them at home) for decoration.
- Keep it back in the fridge till it’s time for serving. Serve cold.
The Banoffee Pie will last you 5-6 days if kept in an airtight container in the fridge. But I’m pretty sure it wont last that long without being eaten! 😛 🙂
Do let me know in the comments how it turned out for you!
Happy Baketimes! 🙂